A kancheepuram silk saree has a special status in a woman’s wardrobe. Among all the other sarees that fill her wardrobe, this piece of handwoven apparel remains her pride. And why not? Women spend thousands on a pure silk saree and wish to pass it down many generations. Unfortunately, these sarees, like every other piece of clothing is prone to wear and tear.
However, here are a few easy ways to preserve it and keep it looking new.
- You don’t have to wash it if you’ve worn it only once. You can let it hang in mild sunlight for a while.
- Make sure you don’t fold it the same way you did before. Doing this may cause the fabric to tear.
- We, as Indians, have a habit of placing Naphthalene balls in between our clothes. However, they should never come in direct contact with a Kancheepuram silk as it might stain them.
- Wrap your saree in a cotton cloth. You should also take them out once every three months as they need to breathe a bit.
- Do not use detergent to wash the saree. Instead, use a mild soap. Alternately, you could also use shampoo to wash the pallu.
- While folding the saree, fold the zari inwards so that it doesn’t lose its shine overtime.