Sanjay Gubbi quit his job as electrical engineer to pursue his passion in wildlife and nature. He has been instrumental in several initiatives that has helped towards wildlife conservation and also reducing man-animal conflict in the state
Wildlife activist Sanjay Gubbi joins the bandwagon of famed researchers in the state who have won the prestigious Whitley Award or more popularly known as Green Oscars. Gubbi was chosen for his immense contribution for animal conservation in the state. In fact, he is the second after celebrated Tiger Biologist Ullas Karanth to be honoured with this award, for feline study in Karnataka. Here's a take on his five most significant contributions that you should not miss.
1. The Mysore-Manandavadi road that runs through the Nagarahole forest stretch linking Karnataka and Kerala had been a killer stretch for animals. At least over a hundred rare animals have been killed on the stretch for speeding vehicles. This had sparked a debate among the wildlife activists who demanded an alternative route. Sanjay Gubbi was instrumental in pushing the government to work on an alternative route to reduce the number of road kill.
2. It was Gubbi's efforts to initiate a study on the population estimation and status of leopards in the state. Till date, no study has been done on this predator. With Project Tiger all the focus was on tiger. However, Gubbi has undertaken a study and as part of it, he is learnt to have radio-collared three leopards. The study is still on.
3. Gubbi's team of Nature Conservation Foundation (NCF) was the first to discover the presence of rare Ratel or Honey badger in the state. Tamil Nadu has the good number of honey badger. But Gubbi established its presence at the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary.
4. Gubbi's efforts in minimising man-animal conflicts, especially in tiger reserve must be appreciated. He has conducted various workshops sensitising people to mitigate the conflict.
5. Much against the wishes of many investors, Gubbi fought a legal battle to save the Western Ghats from the menace of mini hydel plants that had come up endangering the pristine Ghats. His efforts saw in stalling the Maruti Power Gen Pvt Ltd from constructing mini hydel plant in the reserve forests of Shiradi ghats in Hassan district.